In the first level of the “Emissions, Emission Markets & Trading” programme focus is on the actual, physical emission of greenhouse gasses. The Kyoto protocol and its (potential) follow ups are incorporated in this programme.
During this programme students learn about technical solutions to lower emissions. Sustainable energy (renewables, such as biofuels) are covered.
This programme also covers financial solutions in the form of subsidies and taxation. And students learn about trading-related solutions. The European Union mandatory regime is incorporated as well as voluntary mechanisms.
Knowledge of physicality and technical background are essential in order to understand pricing mechanisms and the organisation of emission markets. Without this know how one cannot embed logic with respect to trading & risk management.
- Module: Fundamentals of emissions
- Concerning the greenhouse gasses and their consequences
- About Kyoto & UNFCCC
- Covering the Conferences of Parties (COP)
- Module: Emission rights – Carbon markets
- About the basic idea of creating a price incentive or cost
- Concerning the trading of emission rights
- Explaining the consequence for power prices & the merit order
- Module: Emission trading scheme (ETS)
- Covering EU's Directorate-General for Climate Action (DG CLIMA)
- About the EU-ETS cap & trade mechanism; how does it work?
- Concerning European Union Allowances (EUAs) & registration
- Module: Clean development mechanism (CDM) & Joint implementation (JI)
- Concerning project-based UN initiatives
- Certified emission rights (CERs) & emission reduction units (ERUs)
- Module: Guarantee of origin, green certificates & others
- About carbon credits
- Concerning green certificates, verified emission rights & others
- Covering initiatives based on voluntary participation
- Module: Pricing of emission rights
- About the ETS phases: 2005-2007, 2008-2012, 2013-2020
- Concerning price driving factors
- Carbon taxation instead of capping & trading
This is the exam for the Carbon (Basic Level) programme. After passing the exam, you will be able to receive your certificate here as well.
|Price online||€299.00 excl. VAT|
|Price in-class||€990.00 excl. VAT|
18 May 2018
17 Nov 2018
|Duration in-class||1 day|
6 video modules (a combined total of ~140 minutes of video content).
A reader providing significant background and depth.
Tests & Final Exam
Several test questions per module and a final exam covering the whole course.
When the final exam has been passed you will receive the digital certificate and can be registered with the Charter.