In the fourth level of the “Forwards & Futures, and Forwards & Futures Trading” programme focus is on portfolio management and risk optimisation. The programme goes beyond energy forwards and futures, and takes into account related contracts, namely weather-related forwards & futures. After all, weather has a huge impact on oil, gas, coal and power production, as well as on fossil fuel and electricity consumption. This implies a significant impact on the turnover of energy companies and their profitability.
In order to manage these risks organisations can make use of weather derivatives. This programme focuses therefore on this kind of instruments and their specific application.
- Module: Weather elements & weather exposures
- Weather elements in a nutshell; impact on business & economy
- About weather risk; influences of weather on supply & demand
- Concerning the impact of weather on energy prices
- Module: Fundamentals of weather derivatives
- About the underlying values; references
- Concerning settlement
- The challenges of weather derivatives & the hedging process
- Covering basis risk
- Module: Temperature – HDD & CDD contracts
- About temperature-related derivatives
- Concerning heating degree days and cooling degree days
- Covering pay-off
- Module: Application of weather derivatives – Examples for utilities
- Applying HDD futures & options
- Incl. a practical example for a utility or gas supplying company
- Covering market prices, probabilities and securing cash flows
- Module: Wind derivatives – Examples for energy companies
- About wind-related derivatives
- Concerning wind and wind power
- Wind power indices
- Covering the Carvill hurricane index (CHI)
- A hedge for oil & gas companies; CHI hedge for rig exposure
- Module: Data management & analytics – Wind
- About wind data and wind data management
- Concerning pressure gradient force, coriolis and friction
- Covering diurnal cycle, wind direction, temperature & location
This is the exam for Forwards & Futures (Expert Level). After passing the exam, you will be able to receive your certificate here as well.
|Price online||€299.00 excl. VAT|
|Price in-class||€790.00 excl. VAT|
08 Feb 2018
14 Sep 2018
|Duration in-class||1 day|
6 video modules (a combined total of ~120 minutes of video content).
A reader providing significant background and depth.
Tests & Final Exam
Several test questions per module and a final exam covering the whole course.
When the final exam has been passed you will receive the digital certificate and can be registered with the Charter.